Saturday 11 February, 2017 – TROPFEST is thrilled to announce Nick Ward of NSW as the winner of this year’s TROP JR short film festival, which took place today at Event Cinemas at Westfield Parramatta.
Sixteen budding Australian filmmakers from all over the country aged 9 - 15 made up the finalists for the 9th Annual TROP JR short film festival, with the winner being chosen by a fantastic judging line up of Justine Clarke (Red Dog: True Blue, TV’s Playschool), Angourie Rice (Spider-Man: Homecoming, Jasper Jones, The Nice Guys), Hunter Page-Lochard (Bran Nue Dae, The Sapphires, Cleverman), Julian Dennison (Hunt for the Wilderpeople), Karan Brar (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Pacific Rim: Uprising), and Yianni Rowlands (last year’s winner of Trop Jr).
Nick’s winning film is a tale of a boy who goes to school surrounded by the blinded and must decide whether he should be a victim or a hero.
Head of Jury, Justine Clarke said, “being part of TROP JR again this year is a great honour. This year’s finalists are a wonderful group of storytellers with the trop signature item ‘Mask’ being cleverly incorporated in all of their films. The winning film was chosen by myself and the judges as it had a tremendous amount of originality which we all agreed made it the stand out film for the day. We wish Nick all the best with his future as an Aussie filmmaker.”
Founder and Chair John Polson said “the TROP JR finalists this year all submitted outstanding films and we are excited by the way the way these young Australian filmmakers have embraced this creative competition. We wish Nick all the best with their filmmaking endeavours.”
Prizing for the winner of this years’ TROP JR includes $3,500 from Event Cinemas and UNAA to put towards their next film project, which will premiere at Event Cinemas, $500 Westfield voucher, a one year pass to Event Cinemas 1 Gold Pass as well as being invited to be a judge at next year’s TROP JR competition.
TROPFEST’s 25th anniversary event will take place this evening in Parramatta Park .
TROP JR Affiliate Partner United Nations Association of Australia Peace Program is a supporter of Tropfest and a prizing partner for TROP JR.
FULL LIST – TROP JR FINALISTS
- A WEEK TO DELIVER - Dir. Zander Czerwaniw & David Liu NSW
- ABOUT TIME - Dir. Ben Obermoser Victoria
- ALMOST ABDUCTED - Dir. Oliver Topp NSW
- BUDDIES NOT BULLIES - Dir. Sienna Morison NSW
- CAR CONVERSATIONS - Dir. Oliver Stone NSW
- DEADLINE DEMON - Dir. Sebastien Skubala, Violet Alfred Keenan, Georgia Carr, Matilda Alfred Keenan, Louise O’Loughlin SA
- DROPPING THE MASK - Dir. Niamh Kerridge NSW
- KEEPING MY VOICE - Dir. Tisya Sharma NSW
- PUPILS - Dir. Nick Ward NSW
- ROVER - Dir. Hugo Morgan NSW
- STREAM THIS! - Dir. Jordan Paolillo WA
- MASKING TAPE - Dir. Charlie Butler SA
- THE GOLDEN SLICE - Dir. Darwin Schulze NSW
- THE LEMONADE STAND - Dir. Jordan Blanch VIC
- THE MASK - Dir. Ruby Kontaratos WA
- THINK TWICE - Dir. Carolin Oelschlägel GER